Tuesday, December 20, 2016

In Hot Water

Today we had no water. As my friend says, if something happens, it happens all at once. They're struggling with a mold problem right now and thankfully a couple has offered to let them stay in their house for several weeks while they are away on vacation. Yet even as she was trying to catch her breath with all the allergies that have been triggered by the sci-fi black fungus spreading all over her house, my friend was still selflessly thinking of others. When I told her that we had no water in the dorm, she insisted we come over and use their shower and went to turn on the boiler to make sure we had hot water. We had no water but we had a clean mold-free room whereas she was the one concerned about us. I want to be like her.

Sometimes it's easy to think that being a good Christian means paying your tithe, giving your spare clothes to the poor, preaching an evangelistic series, or being a literature evangelist. These are all good and important things to do but the mere act of doing them doesn't define you as a Christian. A Christian is someone who thinks of others before themselves and in doing so, lays down their desires and needs, to ensure that the needs of others are met first. It may be as simple as offering a hot shower but the intent of the heart is what counts. Not making a list and checking it twice, but instead acting out of love and care.

The water is back on again, though I hear some strange gurgling in the pipes which I hope isn't indicative of another problem. I'm grateful but even more than that, I'm thankful for the lesson I learned today from my dear friend who cared without thought of herself and in doing so reminded me once again how much Jesus cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment