Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tissues and Joy

Well, I managed to get sick again. This hasn't been a good winter for me. Back in the States, I had the flu promptly followed by a head cold and then not much later, another cold. Then I thought, great, now I'm done being sick for the winter. Not so! After two very full weeks, I suddenly got hit with another flu. And now, after fighting it all weekend, a head cold. It's not fun to try to get through a day when you're constantly blowing your nose and sneezing.

After supper, I decided to go for a stroll. Now that time has changed, the sun doesn't set til after 7 pm which makes me very happy. I was not brave enough to walk to the top of the hill in the dark but now I can go, so I did. Accompanied by Mandisa on my mp3 player, singing God Speaking, I marveled at the beauty of the mountains, smiled as a plane rounded the corner, setting down just off the sea, and my heart was filled with joy.

Today was difficult, yes. But I started it by asking God for strength for today and He did not disappoint. I taught my 2-hour class and a dear student gave me a cough drop during the break. One of the sweet AVS volunteers invited me to sit with her at supper. I still haven't gotten used to eating in the cafeteria; it's hard when most people speak their native tongue and I feel left out. I had bought a pack of Kleenex tissues with balsam the last time I went to town so my nose wouldn't 't get red and sore from using the scratchy generic tissues. I'd also bought honey/ginger tea which I enjoyed a steaming mug of after my evening walk. Then I spent the evening in bed, eating sunflower seeds and watching a favourite series on Netflix.

A friend asked me today if I was still happy I came. I answered truthfully that I was happy I stepped out on this adventure. There are difficult days when I feel discouraged and wish I was home with my family, like today. Then there are wonderful days when I'm laughing with friends and feel like this is where I belong. Life is like that. It cannot constantly be one big high but neither is it always a discouraging experience. I'm thankful for the experience and I'm thankful for my heavenly Father Who provides for my needs and makes sure I feel loved.

Oh! Today marks the six week mark! I'm 1/4 of the way through the first half, more or less. I handed in my vacation request today for 3 weeks in July/August. Now to wait for it to be approved so I can book my ticket. After the news today about an EgyptAir flight that got hijacked by a man who supposedly wanted to see his ex-wife, I'm once again apprehensive about flying, but I'm also looking forward to seeing my family and friends in the States. Now if I can just stop sneezing long enough to get some sleep. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment