Thursday, October 6, 2016

Not One but Two Blessings

I've been keeping a prayer journal since I came in a little green notebook that my best friend LaVonne gave me. While I'm normally not one to keep a prayer journal, I knew it would be helpful to write down my prayers so I could see God answer them. I was curious whether the verse that says all God's promises are Yes and Amen through Jesus Christ was really true (2 Corinthians 1:20). I can now say without a doubt that God has answered the majority of my prayers with a Yes. Some prayers were small, like I needed new tennis shoes to exercise and I didn't know where to buy them. Others were big, like trying to find direction for my life after this year is up. Regardless of the prayer's status, I saw time and again how God distinctly and uniquely answered each prayer.

Yesterday, I prayed a prayer I don't often do. I asked God for connection. I'd been feeling somewhat disconnected from people, partly due to processing some personal things, and partly because I'm in a transition stage right now between groups of friends. It's funny but even in my 30s, there still are cliques and favourites and all that. It's tiring but it's there.

After writing out my prayer, I promptly forgot about it. My day was full with work and when I came home in the evening I had a schedule already mapped out. I was going to grab supper to-go, walk with the guys til 7, then go and see my friend and the twins. After that, I'd check out the volleyball game and perhaps join people if they went to Mr. Cocktail for fruit juice. God, on the other hand, had a somewhat different plan for me.

After walking, I headed to my friend's place. The twins were up and kicking vigorously and I scooped up one while my friend fed the other. I walked around with him draped over one arm while I tried to eat my supper, and later, after my friend rocked him to sleep, I held him close as he sank into baby dreamland. I've been privileged to watch them growing up from little tiny babies to now-6 month-olds and I think this stage is just the nicest. They are so responsive, smile easily, and enjoy being held.

As we sat, holding babies and chatting, I savoured the precious moments. My friend told me I could put the little one down, but I shook my head. I didn't want to give up my time holding the sweet baby. We enjoyed a couple of hours and then I left to catch the volleyball game before it ended.

When I reached the courts, I realized my friends weren't there so I headed back up to my dorm room. I messaged Shiloh to see if she was up and wanted to talk and for the next 1 hour and 45 minutes we laughed, reminisced, and shared life and its moments with each other. When I finally hung up, I realized that God had answered my prayer from the night before with not just one but two special blessings.

I shared a worship talk about prayer several weeks ago and I am thankful that God continues to show me the value of prayer. Now, I'm starting to pray for bigger things. Things that require faith. Things that will take longer to answer. Things that may change someone else's life. It's somewhat daunting but I know God is able to work if there is even the smallest seed of faith. So I encourage anyone who reads this post to try it out, to test God, and to see how He will answer your prayers. Because I know He will.

No comments:

Post a Comment