Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Loose Memory

I'm back and oh how happy I am to be writing again! Yes, you guessed it, my laptop had problems again. This time, when I turned it on I heard several loud Morse-code like beeps and then saw a black screen with instructions. The only problem was, my keyboard was once again on the blink so I couldn't do anything with it.

It took me about ten days to find time to make it down the hill to the repair shop. A man was repairing the mechanism that swings open the door, the metal arm at the top of the door, so I stood outside watching rather bemusedly until he stepped away to get another part. Then I knocked on the glass, he opened it part-way, and I squeezed inside.

The computer repair guy was lounging behind the counter as usual, on a stool so low I could barely see the top of his head. I hurried to tell him all about my problem. Not being technically savvy, I gave him some vague explanation about black screens and everything going dead. He calmly took the battery out and unscrewed the back cover. After poking around for a minute, he closed everything back up and turned on the laptop. It was fixed.

So what was wrong? I asked, wondering if it was something I needed to be aware of for the future. Apparently the RAM had come loose though I don't remember dropping the laptop. I was so thankful it was fixed though! So now I'm back in my room, happily typing away as fast as my fingers will manage while I think about the lesson one can learn from a simple thing like this.

I rely on my laptop for many things. I rely on it to check online accounts, order birthday gifts for family and friends in other countries, blog, write emails, and save pictures. While I can do most of that on my phone, the small screen is rather limiting and I can't Swype as quickly as I type. Besides, I'm old school. Just like I'd much rather read a paperback than an e-book (and I prefer paperbacks to hardcovers, much friendlier!), I'd rather type than Swype.

Not having my laptop for several weeks has been rather trying. Yet each time I got it fixed, it was a simple thing that didn't take too long or cost a lot. If I hadn't procrastinated the first time, I would have been able to use my laptop much sooner and be connected.

Using a laptop is like being plugged into God and having a real relationship with Him. Just like I stay connected to the world virtually, I stay connected to my source of spiritual strength. God has wisdom so I know what decisions to make, strength so I can make it through the tough times, joy to fill my heart, peace to be assured that I am in His will, and love to validate me, among many other beautiful qualities. When my laptop is dead, I am frustrated because I can't get things done as efficiently and effectively. Similarly, when I don't have a strong relationship with God, my ability to serve in ministry is limited.

Sometimes it's easy to make excuses. In my mind, if I have staff worship and prayer meeting or vespers or dorm worship in one day, I've had plenty of worship for that day. I'll find time to spend quality time with God in the beginning of the week and then coast on that for the rest of the week, bringing out the verses I'd studied to share at different occasions with different people so they don't realize I'm reusing the same thought.

I'm not saying it's wrong to share an encouraging thought with more than one person. What I am saying is that I'm becoming more and more aware of the need to have a constant connection that is kept alive with new understanding. This may be stretching it somewhat, but perhaps we can apply the new wine in old wineskins concept. If I have a new understanding about some facet of God's character, that understanding needs to be applied in a fresh new way. If I try to force that understanding into my old habits of doing things, it's likely that it won't be effective. But if I allow the new understanding to change my heart and be open to a new way of seeing God, then I can keep growing spiritually which will strengthen other areas of my life. As I regularly spend time learning about God, the Holy Spirit will bring new understanding that will keep the connection vibrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment