Friday, May 20, 2016

Thankful for Little Blue Cars

I cannot end this day without sharing several more blessings God sent my way. As I'd written in the previous post, my morning and half the afternoon was filled with writing the weekly newsletter so I had little afternoon to get a lot done. I finished the important things first, then set off down the hill to get supplies for the Bible scavenger hunt we'll be doing tomorrow afternoon for the university/church family.

I'd barely left the gate when a dear friend drove past, headed up to her apartment. She stopped to say hello and apologized profusely that she wasn't going down the hill. I smiled and said I didn't mind walking. Thankfully the weather has dropped from 90s down into the 70s in the last couple of days, making it enjoyable to be outside. Then I set off once again.

I found the Librarie I'd been in once before, when I'd first come. That time, I'd bought a single notebook, but now I was looking for something to identify our teams. I found the perfect thing, along with mini smiley face magnets that would make an ideal prize. I browsed leisurely and finally brought my purchases to the counter for the owner to ring up.

As I stepped out the door, Jean Jack drove by in his little blue car. He waved and pulled over, asking where I was headed. Down to Khawli, I replied. Hop in, I'll take you there and wait til you're done and drive you back up, he offered. Khawli was not that far away but I was short on time and appreciated the kind offer of a ride. I found the healthiest yet still tasty dessert and picked up two boxes for potluck, gave in to an impulse buy of miniature buckets in pastel hues of pink and purple, and found a gift for my friend's birthday. Jean Jack was happy he'd gone in with me to the store because he'd forgotten he needed to get some office supplies. Then we headed back up the hill.

It may seem like a small thing to offer someone a ride, whether it be driving them to their destination or even taking them part-way there. However, after having the luxury of owning a car for 8 years and now being reliant on my own two feet, public transportation, and the generosity of friends, I'm ever so grateful for little things. To me, the little things are the big things.

Jean Jack didn't know that I'd spent over 5 hours trying to write and put together a newsletter, frustrated that it was taking all my time because I knew I had to budget 2 hours to walk up and down the hill. He didn't know that I was sad I would likely have a very messy room when Sabbath arrived because I wouldn't have enough time to put things away. He didn't know I had skipped breakfast because I'd slept in to try to combat a cold, eaten a sorry lunch of white rice and salad and a quarter cup of greens scraped off the bottom of the pan, and was worried I'd miss supper because I wouldn't get back before line closed. But God did.

I came home in time to get a tasty supper in the cafeteria. I had enough time to tidy up my room so it looked pleasant for the Sabbath hours. I was able to do my shopping and the other things on my list because a dear friend noticed, stopped, and gave a few moments of his time. Being here on my own, I've had so many moments when I realized that God had worked things out perfectly just for me. Each time I've smiled inside as I see His fingerprints all over the scene. I don't always remember to write it down but I'm deeply thankful for those moments and the ones who make them possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment