Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Half a Lifetime Ago

I'm becoming a part of the memories of this place. That was the thought that struck me the other day, as I was walking up the hill diligently working on getting my 10,000 steps in. I was admiring the sunset, the skyline, and the sea when I thought, when I leave, I will become a memory that is part of this place.

Returning after 17 years, I've found my own share of echoes on this campus. A shadow here, a scent there, and I am transported back to my teenage years with all the emotions that accompanied it. Memories of dear friends fill my heart but the reality is that who they were then is long gone. Even I am different.

I wonder, sometimes, what I would say to my teenage self if I could step back in time. There are many things I would like to share, many promises I'd like to keep, many words of comfort I'd like to extend. I think most of all, though, I would say this one thing:

You'll come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment