Sunday, September 4, 2016

Walking is Free

Wow, today I got my steps in!!! 25,000+ to be precise, or 17.5 km, or 11 miles! I had made my list of things to do today and I was wasting time on Facebook and watching things on YouTube, so I told myself I was going for a walk whether I wanted to do or not. I got ready and at 2 pm or so off I went. I thought, I'd see how long it took me to walk to Dora and then if I was tired I'd just stay in Bourj Hammoud but if not I'd try to get to Zeitouna Bay. It took me about 40 minutes to walk to Dora, and I wasn't rushing cuz it was a bit warm. 

In Dora, which is like grand central station with taxis and buses and mini-vans going everywhere, I first asked at the taxi stand area how much it was to go to Zeitouna Bay. They told me $10 and I said of course not and off I went, quite indignant. I found the general area that Ana Paula and Marisa and I had taken a mini-van from several months ago but I couldn't see the number 2 van that I'd carefully written in my notes. So I started asking van drivers but none of them were going that way either. Finally someone said number 15 and I was starting to go to the pink number 15 bus when someone else said I could take a service taxi. He was very smiley and was trying to take my hand to guide me in the direction of the taxi but I was very wary so then he shook my hand and introduced himself and then waved over an old man driving a taxi and said it was 2,000 (which is how much a service is) and I got in. Turns out he was just being friendly. 

A little ways along, we picked up a Filipino lady going to work at the 4 Seasons Hotel, and she was trying to arrange a regular weekly contract with the taxi driver so he could always pick her up from work. He was saying $100 for a month and she was trying to get him to do it for $66 or 100,000 LBP a month which he wasn't having. He kept trying to explain to her that if he was contracted then he would have to stop whatever he was doing and head in her direction and drive her specifically to her location without picking up people, then she said no he could pick up people along the way. It was fun because the whole conversation was in Arabic and I was just picking up the gist of it all without trying very hard. 

After I got dropped off, I walked for about an hour or so along the promenade. There were many young guys swimming in the water or fishing, and one spot was a rocky beach with families also. Some people brought their hubbly bubblies with them to the beach! These areas were not official swimming areas so to get down, in some places, you had to hop over the guard rail, hold on to some ropes, and clamber down the side of the wall. Not my cup of tea! 

I saw a Ferris wheel at a children's amusement park, so I went and had a ride. It was just over $2 and it went around 3 times. No seatbelt or anything but it didn't go super high and it was very slow too. It was quite a nice view from the top. I think the guy who sold me the ticket was rather amused. I walked up to the Pigeon Rocks, took the requisite selfie, and walked back down. On the way, I stopped and bought two spinach pies and the guy who heated them up/bagged them threw two mini pizzas in as a treat. That was nice of him. 

Then I started looking for a mini-van to get back to Dora. Unfortunately, Sundays are not as busy with public transportation and I realized that after seeing 3 number 15 buses drive past in about 30 minutes. I kept walking back in the direction of Dora and thinking about whether I'd walk all the way back or get a taxi. The one taxi who was even going my way asked for 4,000 and I wasn't about to pay double what I'd paid coming so I said no and soldered on. My feet are free, I thought, so I can walk! 

Finally, after walking further back than I had walked going, I heard a bus honk. The driver must have seen me limping, hahaha. I looked around and eagerly waited for him to pull over and when I asked if he was going to Dora he said yes. This was the larger number 15 bus, not a mini-van. I hopped on and enjoyed the wonderful ride all the way back to Dora. It is just 1,000 for the buses/mini-vans which is absolutely wonderful. This was also my first time to ride a bus or mini-van by myself. I decided that since it was daylight, it was a regular size bus, and I had my phone with me, I would be fine. 

At Dora, I found the Falafel Arax shop and ordered a falafel for $2 which was soooo tasty. I ate that as I walked back home. From Dora. I got a ride from the field office to the dorm, but that last bit of hill is a killer so I was grateful! I think I will try to go down there more often, maybe next time I'll bring some of the new people along, so we can have an adventure together. Now I've started the week off with a great round of exercise--here's to keeping it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment