Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, Off to the Gym I Go!

I went to the gym for the first time today! Well, not in my life but at least in 20+ years. Being a college student and then working on a missionary salary meant I couldn't resign myself to paying $50 for a gym membership when I could walk for free on the loop around campus. This afternoon, though, when a friend invited me to come along to their gym, I decided to go. One of my very first decisions when I came to Lebanon was to engage in as many experiences as I could. Whether it was something new or familiar, I wanted to be involved so I could slip into the natural rhythm of life as quickly as possible.

After spending a few minutes on the treadmill, I decided to check out the aerobics class. I headed down the stairs and into a large room filled with mirrors and fun exercise equipment like mats, hand weights, and huge bouncy balls. I looked around and saw several women with their mats and hand weights so I grabbed my own and then waited. And waited. I must have waited 10 minutes. Meanwhile the women chatted away amongst themselves, each seemed to have come with a friend, while I was there by myself. I felt somewhat awkward but reminded myself to embrace the awkwardness as part of the experience.

When the instructor arrived, they turned on the music and away we went. For the next hour I stretched, ran in place, flung my arms about, attempted pushups, and generally moved every single muscle group til it was ready to quit. The instructor would occasionally call out to me to keep my chin up and smile--I must have looked like I was not having a good time! When it was over I went right over to the membership desk and signed up for a month of aerobics classes.

I'd been wondering and somewhat worrying about how I was going to exercise when the bad weather came. I was so thankful tonight to see how God worked it out, even to having a friend who comes regularly to the gym and is graciously kind enough to come on the days and at the times that the class happens. It's a beautiful reminder yet again how God takes care of the small things which encourages me to know that He will take care of the important things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment