Saturday, July 23, 2016

Black Dresses at Sabbath Lunch

One of my favourite things in life is seeing God answer prayers in a meaningful way. Last night we had a vespers talk on prayer and it was very eloquent but all I remember is the topic. I don't remember why we were encouraged to pray or what the result would be. However, it didn't matter because God was busy placing a prayer request in my heart that He was getting ready to answer.

As is my habit, I ended my day by writing two prayer requests, a list of blessings, and a list of accomplishments in my little spring-green journal. I flipped back through the pages, noting the date and the answer of previous prayers. I smiled to see that page after page was marked Yes! and remembered how all God's promises are Yes and Amen (2 Corinthians 1:20).

As I drifted off to sleep, I remembered one more prayer request. I didn't voice it out loud because I wanted it to be a special request between me and God. Please, dear God, let me have someone to eat Sabbath lunch with tomorrow.

I eat all my meals in the cafeteria and lately, I've been eating with fewer and fewer people as people leave on vacation or have other plans. At home, Sabbath lunch was always a special meal and I enjoyed it with my family. Even if we couldn't eat together during the week due to hectic schedules, Sabbath lunch was carefully reserved for family time. The thought of eating in the cafeteria by myself made me feel sad.

After church was over, my friend asked me what lunch was in the caf. Minutes later, she and her little family had joined me in the caf to enjoy a meal together. We laughed and talked and shared stories. The boys slept contentedly, enjoying the cool air-conditioning. Partway through the meal I realized. . .God had answered my prayers.

At the same time He was answering mine, He was answering my friend's prayer for a black choir dress that fit. Someone had given her a dress but it needed to be altered as it was too large for her. Just that morning, a dear lady in the church had handed me a plastic bag with a brand new dress to pass on to someone. I had casually taken it out of the bag in the caf, to see what size and style it was, and then I looked at it more closely. Would this fit you? I asked.

My friend tried on the dress. It fit perfectly. The black dress was just right for choir and she looked beautiful in it. We both smiled as we realized how God had perfectly orchestrated the moment.

God could have given my friend a shapeless old black dress in her size. Instead He provided her with a classy dress that made her feel happy. He could have filled my table with people I didn't know so I would have company. Rather, He worked it out so dear friends could join me and bring a feeling of home even if I was thousands of miles away from family.

God is wonderful. He cares about things that may seem insignificant to others around me but mean a lot to me. He customizes answers to prayer in a way that lets me know He notices me and He wants to make me happy. This is Love. This is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment