Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Climbing Higher

Well my laptop is back. Again. Hopefully for good this time! I'm happy because the guy didn't charge me anything and this is the second time I've taken it back, the space bar doesn't make that weird clicking noise it made the last time I got it back, and wonder of wonders. . .all my files and folders are still on the computer! I was prepared for them to be gone but miraculously they aren't. It is such a good feeling to be able to type whenever I want, to check my email, or watch a movie. I'm so happy.

Today I had the lovely gift to spend a second evening with twin baby boys. My good friends have little boys who are 3 1/2 months old now and my friend's parents who were helping for the first 3 months had to return home. Yesterday and again this evening I went over and was able to feed, rock, burp, and hold the boys. When one started to fuss, my friend would take him and calm him down while I held the quiet one. And back and forth it went.

At such a young age, the boys know instinctively when their parents are holding them and they relax. Their parents have studied the little ones and know when to feed them, when to hold them, or when to let them sleep. The close relationship between parent and child explains why, when I asked my friend if she was apprehensive to take care of her babies when they were released from ICU, she confidently replied that she wasn't at all.

I'm not the most practiced at taking care of babies. I see mothers who now have teenagers eagerly reach for the twins when they come to church and they expertly tuck a little arm under the crook of their arm, cradle a tiny head just so, and within moments the baby is quiet and content. I hold one of the boys and they start to squirm and I'm nervously worried that they are uncomfortable. I watch my friend to see how to hold each boy and carefully support their heads so they don't wobble too much. But even though I'm still learning, I'm so thankful for the gift to be able to help take care of them.

Sometimes I forget that God is ready to have a similar relationship with me. He is the ever-doting Father Who understands my character and gives me the support and encouragement that fits exactly what I need. He is comfortable taking care of me because He's been doing it since before I was born. I don't like to bother people and sometimes I think I feel the same way towards God. I don't want to bother Him with my needs but His responsibility is to provide for me and He takes joy in it. 

What a beautiful reminder from the little ones! I can stop struggling and trying to make sure I manage and relax. God will take care of me. After all, He has promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment