Saturday, April 16, 2016

A Clean Room & A Clean Heart

Yesterday I was happy to finally have time to tidy and clean my room thoroughly. When I first arrived on campus, I was given a lovely room that overlooked the Mediterranean Sea and the football/basketball/tennis courts. I enjoyed seeing the night lights and the room was very pleasant but sharing a bathroom with two students and hearing the late night football games added to my stretching experience! The women's dean kindly shared that there was another room opening up shortly which would be my next home.

Three weeks ago or so, I moved into my new room. Also on the same floor, it was in a quieter wing, I had my own private bathroom, and there was just one bed so I had more room to spread out. I was even able to talk to my friend by opening my window and calling to her as her room was kitty-corner to mine! I was happy to move but surprised to notice that even a change as small as this brought melancholy emotions to the surface. I had just uprooted my entire life and wasn't sure I was ready for yet another change.

However, I'd soon moved all my belongings over and then proceeded to unpack and find homes for everything. Then I fell sick. For the second time. I had to focus my energy on work and various activities and didn't have time to settle in properly. When I found myself with an entire free afternoon this Friday, and the added bonus of motivation to clean, I decided it was time. So I set to work and tackled the task.

I did some deep cleaning in the bathroom. The previous occupant(s) (who knows how far back) had left gifts of pink stain (hair dye? beauty product?) in the cabinets along with various spots that needed to be cleaned on the walls. I will still need to finish cleaning the grout. I swept and mopped the floors and dusted the small dresser and counter. The dust here is very fine so sweeping creates a thousand dust bunnies that tumble away if you so much as whisper near them. Hence the need to mop thoroughly. Finally I tidied up the counter and put everything in its place. After more than 3 hours, I could relax my tired fingers and aching back and knees. My room was clean.

Thinking about my clean room and how much I enjoy being in a place that encourages serenity and peaceful thoughts made me think of how cleanliness is important in so many more areas than our living space. For the past 17 years, I'd lived at a self-supporting institution where, depending on the dynamics and balance of groups at the time, a clean life was heartily encouraged if not dictated. Rules were clearly laid out in regards to one's choice of clothing, makeup and jewelry, food, music, television watching, activities and books read. Sometimes it was implied that if one did not adopt all the specific rules, then it was impossible to be a good Christian while other times the principles were the stronger focus. I did my best to adapt while holding my personal values close but at times questioned why I had to follow all these rules.

Now I live in a setting where I have more freedom to exercise choices that exhibit my personal values. The institution has a broader interpretation of what constitutes a good Christian and allows me some flexibility within its parameters. Interestingly, I've found myself moving towards what I have known all these years. For example, as you know from reading my blog, I've asked for a low-fat and low-salt vegan diet in the cafeteria which they are graciously accommodating for me. Now it's swung the other way; instead of deep fried I receive bland and salt-free but I will figure it out eventually. I'm thankful for the tahini-lemon juice salad dressing to add some flavour when lunch is spaghetti, boiled cauliflower, and tomato puree!

I'm not trying to appear as if I'm better than others because I eat this way. I'm just trying to keep my body from getting so stressed from the oil and salt that it no longer functions in a healthy way. I want to have a body that is as clean as possible and I want to honour God with my choices. I'm still figuring out exactly how to do that but I'm not about to give up.

Two weeks ago a movie night was scheduled by some students to take place on the lawn. I was looking forward to a social activity but then noticed the movie was rated R. I communicated with administration and eventually the movie was changed for another one (I don't know if the second one was any better as I chose not to attend). Last week there was another movie night but this time the students showed Everest which is based on a true story. Tonight I've organized a movie night where we'll watch the classic The Sound of Music, also based on a true story. Here is a clear contrast between something that is dirty and something that is clean.

Let me make it more practical. If I eat a meat hamburger for lunch, shortly thereafter my physical system will be stressed. Inflammation markers increase, concentration flags, and the blood slows down even as I feel more sluggish. I'm sure there are more physical changes things that I could mention. In other words, the meat hamburger is not giving my body the nutrition it desperately craves to function smoothly but rather is stressing the system by introducing elements that are unclean for the body.

If I eat brown rice with steamed greens and scrambled tofu for lunch, I am more likely to be energized with a better ability to concentrate. My body will receive the nutrients it needs and will then be able to turn those into productivity rather than sifting through a hay field for a single kernel of energy from the meat hamburger. As I eat the whole plant foods, I am honouring God by allowing only clean foods into my body.

God refers to cleanliness often in the Bible. Namaan went to the Jordan River to get clean, or to wash away his leprosy, an analogy for sin. God says though our sins are bright red, they shall be as white as snow (Isaiah 1) which means He will clean them. Clean hands are what He desires (Psalm 24). God has no patience for those who appear to clean their lives up but are really living in sin (Matthew 23:25-26). Jesus' sacrifice atoned for our sins and when we choose Him, we are sprinkled with His blood and made clean (Hebrews 10). It is clear that cleanliness is important to God.

As I think about my clean room and how much God values cleanliness, it encourages me because I think God is teaching me a lesson about pursuing the important things in life. What God values more than speaking eloquent sermons or reciting long passages of the Bible is a continual striving to live a clean pure life. When my room gets cluttered, it is hard for me to find anything and I often end up rushing around, creating even more chaos, as I try to find what I'm looking for. There is no feeling of peace; rather I feel very harried. If my life is filled with activities and priorities that are unclean, then I will live a life of chaos instead of serenity. However, God wants me to set aside the sins that are making it difficult for me to live a life of peace in Him (Hebrews 12). He invites me to let the Holy Spirit clean up my life so I can use my time and resources wisely in His service.

No comments:

Post a Comment