Friday, April 29, 2016

Be Just Exactly What He Wants Me To Be

It's been a full week! When I came, I decided to be as involved as possible in campus life so I could adapt and serve wherever needed. This week I had several opportunities for ministry. The women's dean was away for several days so three of us took on the morning worships. Thankfully it wasn't too complicated, just a 10 minute devotional where the young ladies take turns reading the verses for that morning and then a thought to wrap it up. I'm not a morning person so this was very helpful for me.

Then Tuesday, a friend asked me if I could do a short devotional thought for Wednesday night prayer meeting. This was stepping out of my comfort zone because I'm not used to giving worship thoughts. Thankfully, I'd brought my mini Conflict of the Ages set with me and was able to paraphrase the chapter on Calvary since it was an Easter theme.

Sharing worship thoughts is often not as rewarding as teaching a child math, for example. I mean this in that you may not immediately see results but I'm learning that life is not always about results. I'm someone who likes to see results. I really enjoy vacuuming a dirty rug or dusting a dusty bookshelf because I can see instant results. I'm a lot more impatient when it comes to watering plants or doing worship because I can't see results.

In the midst of my worry that I hadn't made the devotional thought deep enough or interactive enough, God reminded me that I had shared what He had given me to share, I'd done my part, and the rest was up to Him. I'm learning that this can apply to many areas in life here. I am not distributing food to refugees or doing assessments for ADRA. I'm writing words and putting them together into sentences to increase awareness about the university. I'm not doing Bible studies with large groups of people; I'm smiling, giving a hug, and promising to pray for one young lady. I'm not preaching sermons to huge crowds but two of the quietest guys read Bible verses at prayer meeting because I asked them to. But I'm doing what God has given me to do and that's the best I can do for now and all these experiences are building my faith in God.


This week has been a good one. A few highlights:
  • Booked my summer ticket back for 3 weeks
  • Enjoyed sandwiches & carrot juice at the little shops down the hill. For just under $4 too!
  • Watched my first drift show & thankful the driver & passenger got out quickly and no one was hurt when an explosion happened in the car. 
  • Led out in 2 morning worships & prayer meeting 
  • Played basketball on a team with a Brazilian & a South Sudanese against a Portuguese & 2 Americans, they won by 1 or 2 points, but I scored several baskets! It's been so long since I played & it was great fun. 
  • Learned how to take public transportation of taxi & mini bus to Hamra, which is the equivalent of a seaside town, enjoyed walking & eating by the sea and seeing Pigeon Rock 
  • Visited 4YL center and got some ideas about more ministry opportunities. This center has various workshops & classes for the community to improve their physical & spiritual health.

No comments:

Post a Comment