Thursday, April 21, 2016

To Be Like Him

Do you believe in Yesu, Jesus? she asked, hesitant yet certain I would answer in the affirmative. Yes! Yes, I do! I replied. She smiled real big and said, Your face shines with grace, I knew it when I saw you. We hugged again and then she returned to cleaning tables while I went inside to order a carrot juice.

I see my friend Sarah three times a week when we go to the cocktail shop. Usually when we arrive, she is inside preparing a cocktail or a smoothie and we exchange hellos. This time was no different but after we'd sat down, Jean Jack and Grethel went next door to look at the sandwiches and then I decided I wanted to go and check out the options also. I ordered a cheese sandwich, which comes on thin flat bread that looks similar to a crepe, is placed on an oval heating element so the cheese can melt, and is then rolled up with mint, cucumber, tomato and olives. I chatted a bit with the owner and learned their products come from a family farm in the Bekaa Valley. Soon the sandwich was ready and I sauntered back to join the group.

Sarah was outside this time, cleaning tables, and when she saw me her face immediately lit up. We hugged and she told me, I love you. (The Lebanese culture is very expressive here) I reminded her that she was in my prayers and she said she needed it. After we talked a little, I went inside to order my juice, not wanting to keep her from her work in case she got in trouble. I kept thinking about what she'd said about my face shining. I didn't think it does but 11 years ago, two different young ladies had told me the same thing when I was teaching English in South Korea.

I'm not a perfect person by any means. Like everyone reading this, I have my struggles and often I am amazed at God's grace in not giving up on me and encouraging me to carry on. How do others see Jesus in me and recognize His grace and purity? I honestly don't know. I can't see my face and I don't think it's anything extraordinary.

During my graduate leadership studies, I was presented with a model that focused on serving others. Servant leadership, interestingly, cannot be learned or taught; rather it is something that others recognize in you. In the same way, I think being like Jesus is not something we can achieve by a formulaic representation based on following certain rules. I believe that others will recognize Jesus in us only if we have experienced Jesus in our lives and know He is real because He is close to us.

It could be easy to think that the experience this evening would set me up to be proud. On the contrary. It is humbling to think that someone who has never met me before recognizes my Saviour and Best Friend by my actions and by looking at my face. It is an awesome (as in significant, not slang for cool) responsibility to represent Jesus to others who may already know Him and are looking for community or who may not and are looking for salvation.

I am so thankful for this experience because it has encouraged me to see that God brought me here for a reason. I am thankful for the reminder to spend time with Jesus so I can be an encouragement to others when they look for someone to be an example of Him. I am thankful for a Father Who knows exactly how to answer the desires of my heart and bring joy to my soul. God's promises are true and I am looking forward to seeing how He will reveal that to me more and more in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment