Thursday, April 7, 2016

Fruit Cocktail

Last Friday, after vespers, Pastor Daniel handed out postcard-size invitations for us to give our friends to come to the concert this Friday. I wondered who I could give one to and immediately thought of Sarah*. She is a very sweet young lady who works in the cocktail shop down the hill and I'd met her the second time I stepped inside in search of fruit other than the staples we had every day. Her English was very good and she asked me where I came from and if I was from the university, because a lot of people from there hang out in the cocktail shop.

I took a single invitation, slipped it into my purse, and promptly forgot about it. On Tuesday I joined the walking group and after we finished our hour of exercise, we went down to the cocktail shop. When we got there, I realized I'd forgotten to bring the invitation. I knew we'd be coming again on Thursday so I decided to bring it this time.

We went inside and sat at our regular table. After a bit of bantering, the guys figured out what we wanted and went to the counter to order. The shop owner chatted with them, and later Sarah brought the beautifully decorated fruit drinks and cocktails to our table. She smiled and said hello. I kept looking in the mirror that reflected the counter, as we laughed and talked, waiting for the owner to leave so I could go and give Sarah the invitation. It didn't look promising, though, so I prayed silently. Father, if You want me to give her the invitation, please make it possible.

After we'd finished, we all huddled around the cash register as we argued about who would pay the bill. The owner was busy playing referee and I noticed Sarah in the back so I slipped behind the group and motioned to get her attention. She came over, asking if there was anything I needed. No, I replied, I was just wondering if you were working tomorrow evening. She said yes, she was, but I handed her the invitation anyhow. She looked at it carefully, asked me to explain what a concert was and where it was going to be, and then said she would try her best to make it. I smiled and thanked her and she smiled back. Then she asked if she could give me a kiss (in the Middle Eastern culture you kiss three times on the cheek) and hugged me.

I don't know if Sarah will be able to get off work tomorrow, though I will pray that it works out if possible. I am so excited though, because God used me to connect with someone who isn't part of the SDA community. I've been wondering if this was to be my life--always living and working on compounds--and somewhat frustrated in trying to figure out how to connect with people outside. God gave me an opportunity to talk to Sarah and I will pray that He shows me how to be a good friend to her and share Him with her.

*Name changed just for privacy's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment