Friday, April 22, 2016

When God Fixed My Laptop

Today I turned on my laptop and watched as the password box appeared on the screen. Just for fun, I typed the letter g. Only a g appeared. No gb or bg. Just a g. I gingerly touched the h letter. Just an h appeared. After quickly typing in my password, I opened up a word document and tested it again. The mute button no longer turned off my wifi and when I typed + it didn't appear as +=. I was stunned. How did this happen?

A little over a week ago, the keyboard on my laptop quit working. I was so frustrated because I use my laptop for blogging and when I can't write, I feel like the words are about to bubble over but have nowhere to go. I have a ridiculous fear that if I don't record the significant, I will forget things later when I need to write a book. I'm not so good with remembering minute details which is why I talk so much. If I tell the details to someone else, usually someone who listens well, then they are now responsible to remember!

Thankfully, Marisa had a spare keyboard that I was able to use. However, I knew it was a short-term fix. I'd had a problem with the keyboard before when certain keys on the top row of letters stopped working but it hadn't happened for several months now which is why I hadn't brought my USB keyboard with me from the States. I'd also noticed that sometimes I would press certain letters and they wouldn't type but if I held the keys down long enough, eventually they would start working. But when the laptop stopped completely I was at a loss for what to do.

One of the IT guys said he could take a look at it during his spare time. The next morning he messaged me that it was fixed but I was out all day. When I returned in the evening and tried to log in to my account, I kept getting a message that the password was incorrect. I typed and retyped it multiple times but didn't realize that several additional characters were popping up behind the asterisks. Finally I logged into the guest account which didn't need a password and the IT guy took a look at it. He diagnosed it as a hardware problem, saying he'd be very surprised if it was a software problem, and recommended I take it in to a computer store for fixing.

For a few moments, I had been overjoyed that God had worked things out to fix my laptop. Then I was back to square one. While I could technically use the keyboard now, since it was only 6 keys that typed the character and the character next to it every time I pressed them, it was a hassle to try to produce anything within a reasonable amount of time when I had to keep backspacing to delete the extra characters.

I tried restarting the computer to no avail. I researched and read technical forums online and tried a few fix-it suggestions that didn't seem too complicated but still nothing happened. Then I noticed that I hadn't done any updates to my laptop since November 2015. There were 62 important updates and 11 recommended ones sitting in the queue. I decided I might as well do the updates since nothing else was working but when I tried to start the process, it wouldn't respond.

Finally, I gave up. The next day I turned on my computer, typed in my password, and stared as I realized the problem with my keyboard had disappeared. I don't know what changed. Maybe the updates fixed a bug or something that needed fixing. Or maybe God fixed my laptop.

I am always amazed when God works a miracle in my life. I don't know if you've noticed it, but it seems that the miracles He does for me are always personalized. It makes me feel like He notices me and wants to make me happy. There are times I think God is working a miracle for me and it turns out differently than I expected, like the first fix on my keyboard. It may be discouraging but if I can hold on to my belief that He wants what's best for me, and cheerfully wait, I am certain He will answer my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment